Cristiano Ronaldo is free to play in Portugal’s World Cup opener next summer after being banned for just one match following a special ruling by FIFA.
Ronaldo, 40, was dismissed for a violent elbow on Dara O’Shea on the hour mark of his side’s shock 2-0 defeat in Dublin earlier this month.
The Portugal star had been facing a potential three-match ban for violent conduct, which would have ruled him out of the start of the World Cup.
But FIFA have suspended the second and third matches of the ban in a rare ruling, taking into account the red card was his first dismissal in 226 appearances for his country.
Ronaldo has served his punishment after he sat out the 9-1 win over Armenia, meaning he will not be suspended for any of Portugal’s matches at the tournament in North America unless he commits another similar offence during a one-year probation period.
A FIFA statement read: ‘If Cristiano Ronaldo commits another infringement of a similar nature and gravity during the probationary period, the suspension set out in the disciplinary decision shall be deemed automatically revoked and the remaining two matches must be served immediately.’
Cristiano Ronaldo has been given a World Cup reprieve after being sent off against Ireland
Ronaldo was dismissed for a violent elbow on Dara O’Shea during Portugal’s 2-0 defeat
The decision is a huge boost to Ronaldo and Portugal, and comes just a week after he met US President Donald Trump at the White House.
Reports in the nation had claimed the Portuguese Football Federation would appeal to FIFA for Ronaldo to only be banned for one match, with the organisation thought to have cited the fact it was his first ever red card for the nation in their submission.
Portugal boss Roberto Martinez had also argued the player’s outburst was not ‘violent’.
‘Of course, we spoke,’ the former Everton manager said. ‘I think it’s difficult for a player like Cristiano, who’s in the box. And today he had two defenders constantly in physical contact.
‘There’s no violence. He tries to push the defender away and he was unlucky that the VAR… the angle of the images [makes it look] worse than what happened. It’s Ronaldo’s first red card for the national team, it’s incredible.’
Ronaldo and fiancee Georgina Rodriguez headed to Washington, D.C. last week to meet Trump, with the pair in attendance for a glitzy black-tie dinner alongside some of the most powerful leaders on the globe Tuesday night.
The trio also shared a laugh and a joke while taking a stroll together away from the dinner, before Cristiano and Georgina were invited into the Oval Office.
He was welcomed with open arms by Trump, who gave the 40-year-old and Rodriguez a tour of his office and a present to remember the occasion. Daily Mail Sport later revealed Trump gave Ronaldo a golden key to the White House.
Ronaldo met US President Donald Trump during a visit to the White House last week
Trump gifted Ronaldo, who attended alongside his fiancee Georgina Rodriguez, a key to the White House during his visit to DC
Ronaldo earlier this month insisted the 2026 World Cup would be his last. ‘Definitely, yes,’ he said when asked about the tournament.
‘I will be 41 years old and I think [this] will be the moment in the big competition.’
The draw for the World Cup takes place in Washington, D.C. on December 5. Portugal are in pot one, along with the likes of England, Spain, France and holders Argentina.
The 48 teams will be placed into 12 groups of four. FIFA announced on Tuesday that the top four seed countries – Spain, Argentina, France and England – would be kept apart until the semi-finals in a World Cup first.
Spain and Argentina, and France and England, will be ‘paired’ and placed into opposite halves of the draw. The rule applies if they all win their respective groups.